EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT PUGET SOUND COMMUNITY SCHOOL
Adjunct Teaching Staff - Math Focus
Are you interested in progressive, relationship-driven education? Are you excited by the idea of collaborative leadership? If so, we hope to connect with you.
Located in Chinatown in the International District of Seattle, Puget Sound Community School (PSCS) is a nonprofit, independent school, currently serving 30-40 students in grades 6-12. PSCS is a community-centered, relationship-driven progressive school. The PSCS philosophy is based upon the belief that young people are intrinsically compelled by their own curiosities and desires to learn—and that, when provided a positive and supportive environment, along with a variety of opportunities offered by engaging people—they will enthusiastically pursue meaningful and challenging goals.
Position Summary: Supervised by the Director of Program, the Math Focus Adjunct Teaching Staff position will work with the school community to implement a math educational program for students that supports the mission and philosophy of PSCS. When requested and as scheduling permits, this position is flexible to participate in programs and activities not directly specified below.
Application Requirements: In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please submit a one page document that explains how your work and lived experiences led you to this moment and prepared you to be successful in this role with PSCS. Please include example(s) of relationship-building or stewardship that you are especially proud of and what made them meaningful.
- Facilitate a high level of differentiated math instruction in a school focused on supporting students in becoming self-directed.
- Collaborate with other staff to address the needs of the whole student.
- Teach Algebra 1, Algebra 2, MS Integrated Math, and HS Integrated Math. Consult with the Director of Program and student’s Advisors to address additional student needs.
- Integrate the teaching of executive functioning skills into classes.
- Create a supportive environment of belonging.
- Supply class descriptions, student comments, and credit reporting upon each term’s conclusion.
- Act in loco parentis with regard to student progress and confidentiality.
- Engage math explorations through a social justice lens.
- Engage with community members about power and positionality with regard to race, gender, and privilege.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Prefer candidates who have experience teaching in a progressive school environment or outside of school programs.
- Experience working with middle/high school students.
- Exemplary written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent executive functioning.
- Strong collaborative planning skills.
- Desire to work in a progressive school environment.
- Flexibility in meeting the needs of a wide range of learners.
- Understanding of one’s own position with regard to race, gender, patriarchy, power hierarchies, etc.
Schedule and Compensation:
This is an adjunct teaching position, 10 hours a week, with days and times to be scheduled each term. Compensation is $15,000.
Puget Sound Community School invites the participation and employment of all people, welcoming students, teachers, families, and volunteers of any racial, national, religious, or ethnic origin, from all backgrounds, belief systems, orientations, and expressions.
Employer Contact Information:
Tim Ichien, Director of Programs
660 S. Dearborn Street / Seattle, WA 98134
email@example.com / www.pscs.org